Tuesday, December 7, 2010

All I Want For Christmas




~*~*~

Another guest post by Dana


~*~

Do you remember writing that annual letter to Santa? The magic of wanting a single gift - more than you wanted anything ever before - and having it appear under the tree Christmas morning?

I was a Lego kid. Back in the day (40 years ago) Legos were at the top of the construction toy heap, with Erector Sets and Lincoln Logs (yes, they used to be wood) following close behind.

My mom desperately wanted a pink, frilly dress, princess-like little girl. Instead, she got me - a little girl who wanted nothing more than her carpenter daddy to be proud of her. A little girl who spent hours and hours building homes and neighborhoods with Legos.

I still love Legos. If I see them I must build.

Legos have come a long way since the traditional red, yellow, blue and white cubes I grew up with. I came across this while doing a little on-line Christmas shopping.


Yes, I am actually considering buying this and putting it under the tree ... for me!

What childhood toy did you love? Is there one that could still make you smile from ear to ear if you found it under your tree on Christmas morning this year?

~*~*~

15 comments:

Karen said...

I loved Lite Brite. I totally thought I was an artist!

Grant said...

I was also into primitive legos, because you could build stuff and then play war and smash it to pieces. But legos stay together too well, so lincoln logs were better for that.

Tell Santa to bring you this. If he doesn't come trough, write a letter to Satan. They both wear read and have the same letters in their name, so it's all the same.

Raquel's World said...

Shrinky Dinks! They Rocked!

Dana said...

Karen, all that I remember about Lite Brite is my mom stepping on all of the little light pegs and cursing at me :)

Grant, holy satanic lego building! And I thought the $100 price tag on the Frank Lloyd Wright Lego set was high.

Raquel, I remember Shrinking Dinks but I'm pretty sure I realized at an early age that I wanted no toy that got smaller when I played with it!

SkylersDad said...

Legos were cool, but my all time favorite was a big tow truck called big bruiser!

Dana said...

SkylersDad, THIS Big Bruiser??

Mike Golch said...

Falling Water lego,that is just so cool!

Mike said...

For me it was American Logs. They were round, not square.

And then it was American Bricks. In your battles you could blow them up and the would come apart.

Dana said...

Mike Golch, they have the Guggenheim Museum in this series too *drool*

Mike, it looks like American Logs were quite similar to Lincoln Logs (which I also had). To bad you boys always felt the need to blow things up!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I dug Lincoln Logs...loved building things and then using them for my collection of thousand of little plastic army men

Real Live Lesbian said...

I'm still waiting for My Little Pony!

Al Penwasser said...

Tinkertoys were my absolute favorite! I was so disappointed when I couldn't bring them to Navy boot camp.

Knight said...

I remember getting this crappy little air hockey table one year and my brother and I went insane. Otherwise I always got all the prissy girly stuff and he always got the cool boy stuff. Then we would play with them together. The barbies beat up wrestlers and cars chased my little ponies.

Another Suburban Mom said...

I loved my Little House on the Prairie Book Set and Sunbonnet. I would wear my flannel nightgown and pretend I was on the Prairie

Silver Tomboy said...

Lincoln Log fan. You mean they're not wood anymore? Also a big Tinker Toy fan.