Friday, February 18, 2011

Man v. Woman


Monday morning, I'm hiring my first underling. Assistant, I mean. We've finally gotten to the point where the five of us can no longer handle everything that goes on. And frankly, I'm everybody's bitch.


Looks like they've noticed that I'm going to need my own bitch. RLL's bitch.

I have two candidates that have made it through to interview with me. One man. One woman. Both equally qualified.

Monday, I'll interview them and pick a favorite. Thing is, I have no idea how to choose unless I ask a bunch of weird questions and find out who is more detail oriented, loves Chinese food and is willing to work 24/7. Because last night as I was brushing my teeth before bed, my cell buzzed and I came down to my computer to put out a fire.

Here's hoping next time, I have my own bitch to catch the fireballs for me!

9 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Ask a bunch of really personnel things and hire who breaks last!

Shannon said...

Gosh, I hope the chick is at least nice to look at. That could make putting out fires a little easier...

Anonymous said...

I tried to lie in my comment but have to be honest and say I'd have to take the one that's easy on the eye ;)

Vodka Mom said...

Does either of them have connections to Gerard Butler? Cause that would seal the deal for me.

Jeanne Estridge said...

According to Malcolm Gladwell, it doesn't matter what you ask them, because you'll make your choice in the first five seconds without a word being spoken.

If he's wrong, though (and I hope to God he is) asking them for anecdotes, stories, about past work situations has worked well for me. Specifically:

"Tell me about a team you've been on that worked well together. What made it work?"

"Now tell me about a team that didn't do as well? Why do you think that was?"

I've found this pair of questions works well to surface how someone is going to interact with the rest of the office.

Slyde said...

good luck! everyone can use a good bitch once in a while...

Rick Rockhill said...

dying to hear how the hiring went. Man or woman. Funny thing in my last company, all the women wanted to work for me, and I was thrilled. Then I realized it was because there was a woman boss who was hard to work for and resented other smart woman, and she drive them all away. I was lucky and hired a bunch of smart women who were awesome. Anyway good luck either way.

Glitterstim said...

I have to pick the one who doesn't mind my tendency to over-share...and will possibly over-share, too.

:o) BJ

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

So, which did you select?

been a while..hope all is well