Friday, November 27, 2009

My Mother


I have two dogs that live IN the house. I wasn't raised that way. I was raised to be "clean." And dogs in the house, to my mother signifies "dirty."

Although, I do a pretty good job keeping up with the fur. For me, that's the biggest issue.

There's been a rash of robberies in our area. We live in the country, but now they've build a mall within 5 miles of us. Sitting on my front porch, you'd think podunk. But I can be at a Starbucks, Target or Theatre within minutes.

Me: Maybe you could get a small dog for inside the house. You know, having a dog in the house is the biggest detterent against thieves.

Her: I couldn't possibly have a dog in the house. They're dirty. They pee. They poop. They throw up. I just couldn't do it.

Me: Thanks for letting me stay in the house when I was a baby.

15 comments:

Mel's Way or No Way said...

Well then with 5 dogs and 2 cats in the house I must be filthy. Nevermind, we vacuum and mop daily.

Good point though. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've heard someone complain they had to get rid of their dog because it was too dirty, destructive, etc. then in the same breath tell me how little Tommy busted the window with a baseball and little Sally puked spaghetti on the living room carpet. Makes no sense!

SkylersDad said...

I like my dogs better than a lot of people, they are family members to me.

Mike Golch said...

Good point,abot being human and doing the same things that make house pets a No-No.I need a post like this today,to bring me out of the blue funk that my sisters put me into.

shrink on the couch said...

As a kid raiser and a dog owner I can attest. Kids are far dirtier and way harder to house train : )

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Love I get from my pops is worth the hair.

Jules said...

Awhhhh I love a good pooch post. My dog not only lives IN the house, he runs the place.

Karen said...

I am totally with your mom. Plus they need to be fed and walked. Too much work for me.

Only I make all kids stay in a pen in the yard.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I agree with Skyler's dad!

crystal said...

Hilarious! :)

vixen kitten said...

You better thank her. You're damn lucky she didn't make you sleep outside those first few years!

This post was great!

xoxo
~vk~

Vodka Mom said...

I agree with phd. Kids are FAR dirtier than the dogs.

Melissa said...

LOL! Nice... Touche, dear Mommy.

Lu' said...

Ha ha ha I take it cats are out too.

James said...

I used to have dogs in my first marriage and I like dogs but I wouldn't have one now.
With 7-8 people in our house it is difficult enough to keep clean and I wouldn't be able to have the time to look after a dog properly.

I used to have two Airedale terriers. I used to walk them about 2 hours a day over fields. They were happy. If I couldn't do that I wouldn't have a dog.
It is not fair to keep them cooped up in an urban environment like here. They get mentally ill.

lynette355 said...

i have 5 dogs and 3 cats and only had 1 child...hummm where does that weigh me in at?
lol....i love my pets as they are family as all of us pet owners know. My daughter would have my head if her dogs where not inside at night to rest with the family.